Active School Flag
Welcome to the Active School Flag update page
The Active School Flag was launched by the Department of Education in May 2009 and is organised through Mayo Education Centre. The purpose of the initiative is to recognise schools (primary, post primary and special schools) that strive to achieve a physically active and physically educated school community.
Help us to achieve the ASF!
We are trying to achieve the Active School Flag in Saint Pat’s this year. In order to achieve the flag, we must:
- Adhere to DES Guidelines regarding PE timetable provision for all students.
- Teach a broad and balanced PE curriculum.
- Inform and invite the whole school community to participate in the ASF process.
- Self-evaluate current provision in terms of P.E, Physical Activity and Community Links.
- Plan and Implement improvements for each of the aforementioned areas.
- Organise an ‘Active School Week’ as part of the annual school calendar.
- See http://www.activeschoolflag.ie/ for more information regarding the Active School Flag process.
Resources for Parents
Here are some ‘Active Ideas’ for home:
- Go for pre- or post-dinner walks
- Turn up the music and boogie down!
- Make a game out of household chores.
- Sneak workouts into other activities i.e. taking the stairs instead of the escalator.
- Turn TV ad breaks into fitness breaks.
- Have a weekly sports night, where everyone in the family gets involved.
- Let the kids help with work in the yard and with gardening – catch leaves, raking, sorting, digging, planting, etc.
- Walk the dog.
Here are some fantastic resources for parents to encourage even more physical activity at home:
(Copy and paste into browser)
Take a peek at what we have been up to…
Here are some of the improvements we have made on our way to achieving the Active School Flag.
Our Active Week summary
Monday through Friday we began each day by doing a Wake Up Shake Up together in the hall!
On Tuesday we had two fantastic coaches, Jill and Rosalee, visit us from Renmore Gymnastics Club!
On Wednesday we had another visitor. This time Gary and Martin from Power soccer called in to take each class for some intense soccer sessions.
On Thursday we took full advantage of the good weather and went down to the swamp to complete a whole school Fun Run!
The students then took on the teachers in a tense and exciting soccer match!
On Friday we started our day with a Wake Up Shake Up and then each boy was presented with their certificates for completing the Fun Run!
We held our active week 11th-15th . Thank you to everyone who volunteered their time!